Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Washer tears our clothes and leaves smelly black streaks/powder?

I have had problems lately with the apartment laundry room washers tearing holes in our clothes and leaving smelly black streaks and black powdery crumbly stuff on or around the tears on the clothes. I thought maybe I was overloading but it happens on small loads too. You can't predict when or which washer will do it. They are high efficiency front loaders, not sure which brand.





What is happening to my clothes? It's a slum complex so complaining or fighting management is useless, I just want to know if there's something I can do while laundering here or if I just have to go to a laundromat or hand wash from now on.





It's tempting anyways since they raised the price after installing these high efficiency things a few years ago, but the washers don't clean well at all (when they actually work in the first place) and the dryers take two cycles to dry now.Washer tears our clothes and leaves smelly black streaks/powder?
Your comment of ';Black crumbly stuff on or around the tears'; is a good starting point. Search the inside of the washer to see if anything is catching the clothes. Is it a front loader then it could be getting caught between the seal and the front glass. If this is indeed the case then since you are paying more because of these new machines there is a case where you should be reinbursed for the damage they have caused.


I hope you have it in writing that the rent was put up because of the new washers!!Washer tears our clothes and leaves smelly black streaks/powder?
Either of these guys could be right, but I' going with the first answer. I believe the dryers are in need of replacement or repair.
I have a front loading Maytag that gets mold around the lip inside the door. My friend is a Maytag repairman and he said that my specific washer had a recall because of this. Unfortunately, we missed the cutoff date to have it repaired/replaced. He said to try using powder sunlight automatic dish detergent and bleach to clean out some of the mold.


It is also possible that someone is washing some kind of nasty work clothes right before you. Maybe a roofer or street worker, Just guessing on this one.
the drum is worn out it now has slack between the drum and washer housing allowing your clothes to get between there also. the black stuff is the old sludge left from years of use like the stuff that is in your sink drain. i would definitely go somewhere else from now on

No comments:

Post a Comment