Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I buy a black powder pistol kit in Kansas, if my drivers liscense is from Michigan?

I found a black powder pistol kit in Kansas while working here for a few months. I want to buy it, but I am from Michigan and don't know wether it is legal for me to purchase. I am over 21 and have purchased firearms before in Michigan, but never from out of state.Can I buy a black powder pistol kit in Kansas, if my drivers liscense is from Michigan?
BP guns are not considered ';firearms'; by federal law. Some states (like Mass.) make it so you cannot mail order them and have to go to a gunshop to buy them. I have never read a BP revolver order guide state restrictions for Michigan residents. Almost every state (except a few) allow mail-ordering for all BP guns. Buying one in person out of state should not be an issue in your case. The rules change with modern cartridge-firing guns.Can I buy a black powder pistol kit in Kansas, if my drivers liscense is from Michigan?
I agree with David M.


Correct Answer.
I believe David M is correct. You can always ask the folks in Kansas where you want to purchase it and they can tell you what is required. Laws vary state to state.
Since it's a kit, I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't. The ';gun'; isn't put together, so it's not a ';gun';. I don't know the rules on that, though, and I live in Kansas.
Muzzle-loading weapons are classified as antique ';relics or curios';, including replicas, no matter when they were manufactured, and are NOT regulated by law or BATFE regulations. This includes weapons in kit form.


This does NOT include cartridge weapons, Which ARE controlled.


As long as you are purchasing non-cartridge guns, all you need is ID to prove you are over 18, and the CASH!


P.S: If you really like smokewagons, go to http://www.dixiegunworks.com and be prepared to be absolutely amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment