Saturday, December 19, 2009

What is your favorite black powder handgun?

It can be for hunting, plinking or whatever.


Any type, caliber or design.


And what do you use it for?What is your favorite black powder handgun?
I'm stuck between the 1860 Army and the 1851 Navy Colts.


The Army is SO sleek looking with it's flowing, organic lines.....but I also like that bigger hole in the end of the Navy and it's flat barrel sight plane.





I just use 'em to plink and pretend to re-live history. I'd like to take that up a notch to trying my hand at blackpowder ';Cowboy Action Shooting'; or Civil war re-inactment someday, though...


....Get me a set of Confederate grey's and a Griswald and Gunnison copy maybe!What is your favorite black powder handgun?
Colt Walker - I don't own one, I have had the chance to shoot a few and that's my fav
While I no longer have a black powder handgun, if I'd get one now I'd op for the Ruger Old Army model in stainless.
There are a number or blackpowder handguns I want, chief among them are a LeMat and a Walker Colt.





However, my favorite has to be the .36 Caliber Model of 1851 Colt Navy Revolver.





I've owned one for nearly 30 years and it is as sweet a shooter as you could hope to find.





Considering the high quality sights (snicker, har-har-tee-hee) it produces very good target accuracy, and it is one of the best point shooting revolvers I've ever owned. And I've never owned another six-gun with grips that fit my hand as well.





Using that old Navy Colt, I've convinced several people that point shooting is much more than a Hollywood Myth.





In earlier days, the old Navy Colt was my traveling gun. Since the Yankee Government in its infinite wisdom has decreed that cap-and-ball revolvers are not firearms, it went with me whenever I had to cross a state line.





These days, it is relegated to simple fun gun status,





Doc
I carry and shoot 3rd Model Dragoons in cowboy action. A great and interesting weapon to shoot.
none
I've got a .44cal flintlock pistol. It's kind of a ';Kentucky'; style but very slender. It's just so damn accurate. With a .430 roundball and a ticking patch it is very tight. I have to wipe between shots or you have to pound the ball in. On top of 20grs of FFF it puts them right were the sights are looking when the ball leaves the muzzle. I beat three guys on a walk through once and they were shooting rifles! She sparks the primming every time too if you keep it clean and the flint sharp. Love that gun.
any of these


http://www.possibleshop.com/kent-pistol.鈥?/a>


but really like the Bounty


I intend to get one for deer hunting
Sorry but I couldnt choose, they are all so dang fun!
LeMat %26amp; Girard's Patent Pistol


Originally patented in 1856 by a French-born aristocrat who designed firearms as a hobby, this unusual and distinctive revolver featured a nine-shot cylinder whose axis pin was a smoothbore shotgun barrel for firing grapeshot


9 shots - .44 caliber plus a 20 gauge shotgun all in one
I like my 1858 Remington repro...


.44 cal [uses .453 dia balls] and ~30 grains of Pyrodex...life is good.





You can spend an entire afternoon at the range and only be out of pocket about $12.00.


There's a Youtube video of a girl firing a BP pistol for the first time...she says: ';It smells like BBQ.';





Can't beat that.
A friend of mine created a HUGE caliber matchlock gun from the 16th century which he affectionately calls ';Baby'; ... it's about six feet tall and has got about a 1';-bore and goes ';BOOOM!!'; with enough force to set off car alarms at 100+ yards.





We use it for re-enactment events %26amp; to scare the tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment