Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Is it illegal to make homemade black powder?

I got into some trouble with the law and the police started an investigation with the U.S. Postal Service. A package was stopped with a total of 18 pounds of 2 of the ingredients to make black powder (charcoal and potassium nitrate). Also included was a ball mill. A search warrant was performed in my room, and they found empty M-60 paper tubes, fuses, and some other fireworks ingredients. The reason I was buying the black powder ingredients was to make fireworks. I'm just wondering if I need to worry about it. (I live in PA, USA)Is it illegal to make homemade black powder?
I suspect you got caught up in a Homeland Security investigation.





The ATF has a number of rules and regulations for manufacturing explosives, which is what you are doing, even though it is just fireworks. Black powder is exempt from SOME of those regulations. Since you were not arrested on the spot, you might be home free. However, I would be contacting the ATF field office to find out if you did inadvertently violate some federal law.





I'll bet good money that you did violate some State law. Most states regulate the hell out of fireworks.





At worst you might be looking at a stiff fine. Assuming you are just ignorant of the law and had no other, more sinister, purpose than some fire works; You might get scorched but not burned at the stake.Is it illegal to make homemade black powder?
Old fuzz is right. Fraginal..., on the other hand, is not. Licensed fireworks technicians can also make and handle black powder and other pyrotechnic materials. Marty_d is wrong about it being illegal to mail the unmixed chemicals. Robert F is mistaken about using barbecue charcoal in black powder. Report Abuse

Explosives are only allowed to be handled and made by authorized police or military experts.
You probably should have investigated the legality awhile ago, but I'll skip the lecture. I believe it's not illegal to own it, but it is probably very illegal to mail it through the postal system....
I understand your problem. I made fireworks as a kid. I also shot guns in the city with no problems, but things have changed. If you mix black powder with pistol powder you have a devestating mixture. We probably should try to avoid allowing people to do these things. I don't like it, but it is the reality of the times.
Why buy charcoal by mail ? it's easy to make you can even buy it at the grocery store ,convenience store and walmart.





18 pounds af 2 ingrediants plus the third , that is a lot so you may be looking at the ATF talking to you.
HELL YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment